When Brand Liechtenstein was launched in 2004 under the then Prime Minister Otmar Hasler, the aim behind it was “to summarise symbolically in an unmistakeable, easily recognised image the values and qualities which constitute Liechtenstein’s distinctiveness.” Even six years later nothing has changed in these terms of reference and the “Stiftung Image Liechtenstein” foundation established specially for the purpose is still working to promote a positive image abroad for the Principality of Liechtenstein. An endeavour which, despite occasionally stormy times in the past, is repeatedly crowned with notable successes.
“Brand Liechtenstein” has been given in the stamp series of the same name started in March 2008 a philatelic platform to enable it to be publicised with the broadest possible impact. These definitives associate familiar buildings in Liechtenstein with the Brand’s five core messages – Dialogue, Finance, Industry, Homeland and Nature/Community – and with the overarching symbol of the monarchy. After the Spoerry-Areal in Vaduz (Industry), the chapel of St. Mamertus in Triesen (Homeland) and Vaduz Castle (Monarchy) in the first issue and the Schellenberg Rural Lifestyle Museum (Community), the former Customs House in Vaduz (Finance) and the Parish House in Bendern (Dialogue) in the second, in this year’s third issue it is the turn of the “Schaan Rail Station” on the Feldkirch-Buchs line opened in 1872 (Industry, face value CHF 1.10), the “Red House” in Vaduz whose origins date from the 13th century and which has been in private hands for over 200 years (Homeland, face value CHF 1.80) and the “Parish Church of St. Joseph, Triesenberg” built in 1938 with its striking onion tower (Community, face value CHF 1.90). As for the first two issues the stamps and sheet margin were designed by Hans Peter Gassner in Vaduz.