My name is Wahid Zia. I am collecting stamps since the last 37 years (1980). I created a blog which includes the information of Pakistan all stamps. W/W new issues & all issues of Pakistan from 1947 to date are available on this blog. I invite you to visit my blog and get useful information.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Historic venue puts its stamp on Royal history


Preston's legendary Hoghton Tower has played host to the launch of a set of special Royal Mail stamps partly inspired by events at the venue.

Royal Mail chiefs were at the tower this week to launch the royal House of Stuart stamps, part of the company's Kings and Queens series.

The venue was chosen because, as legend has it, it is where King James I is reported to have once been so impressed with the quality of beef served to him, he knighted it as 'Sir Loin'.

The seven stamps feature portraits of the monarchs of the royal House of Stuart, who ruled for more than a century during an unprecedented period of turmoil.

James I is shown on one of two First Class stamps, the other depicting his son Charles I.

No comments:

Post a Comment