My name is Wahid Zia. I am collecting stamps since the last 37 years (1980). I created a blog which includes the information of Pakistan all stamps. W/W new issues & all issues of Pakistan from 1947 to date are available on this blog. I invite you to visit my blog and get useful information.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Canada to issue Rotary centennial stamp

On June 18, Canada Post will salute the 100th anniversary of Rotary International in Canada by issuing a 57c postage stamp.

The stamp features an anonymous figure sporting the traditional Rotary vest.

"My father was a Rotarian, and I always remember how concerned he was with the betterment of others, from the welfare of children, to health care and housing projects," says designer Xerxes Irani. "These memories are all tied to the Rotary vest, and while researching the organization for this stamp design, the photographs I came across kept bringing me back to that visual. I chose it as the focus for the design because it has become symbolic of every Rotarian." The anonymity of the figure enforces this idea; "It could be anyone," as Irani puts it.

The first day cover and booklet feature a glimpse of a Rotarian's personal working space, with meeting schedules, awards, and lapel pins scattered around a desk. "We wanted to make it seem as if we sneaked into a member's home office," explains Irani. The map on the back of the booklet is focused on Montreal, where the 2010 Rotary International Convention will be taking place from June 20 to 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment