This new issue by the Russian Post is dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Russian Peace Foundation. The stamp depicts the emblem of this social organization.
In March 1950, millions of peace supporters in the Soviet Union and abroad signed the Stockholm Appeal "On the prohibition of nuclear weapons." Many Soviet people on their own initiative began sending donations to the struggle for peace. For the strictest control over the expenditure of these funds in April 27, 1961 a public organization - the Soviet Peace Foundation - was established. The main directions of its activities were promotion of peace, friendship and understanding between peoples, development of compassion and humanitarianism, international scientific and cultural cooperation, and youth exchanges. The Russian Peace Foundation became successor to the Soviet Peace Foundation.