My name is Wahid Zia. I am collecting stamps since the last 37 years (1980). I created a blog which includes the information of Pakistan all stamps. W/W new issues & all issues of Pakistan from 1947 to date are available on this blog. I invite you to visit my blog and get useful information.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas stamp by Aland Post

"I frequently recur to nature", says Helene Schmitz, the photographer behind this year's Christmas stamp depicting a hyacinth. She is universally recognized for her close-up pictures of flowers.
The Stamp Committee of Åland Post caught sight of Helene when she had her flower portraits on exhibition at the Åland Museum a few years back. Having decided upon the 2011 Christmas stamp theme, the Committee contacted Helene who accepted the commission. "Typical Christmas colours are not my favourite colours, so I was pleased when I realized that I was asked to shoot a white hyacinth".

The hyacinth was photographed in the autumn of 2010 and the stamp now appears, one year later. A beautiful close-up photo of a white hyacinth illustrates the FDC, and the first day cancel is designed as a hyacinth flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment