In October. 1975, the National College of Arts, Lahore completed a hundred years of its existence. In the course of its long hi story, this institution, which evolved from the original Mayo School of Arts, has played a vanguard role in the cultural life not only of Pakistan but of the subcontinent. Among the teachers and students associated with this institution are the names of some of the most eminent perso-nalities in the field of arts and crafts in the sub-continent.
The centenary celebrations of the National College of Arts, Lahore, is an event of considerable importance in the history of our Arts and Crafts. It not only presents us with an opportunity to look back upon the road the National College has traversed as an institution but also provides an occasion to examine, assess and analyze the past, to understand the present, and to determine the future.
HISTORY: The Mayo School of Arts was established in 1875 to train craftsmen to produce marketable “object of arts” Indeed, the Mayo School of Arts was actually born out of an arts and crafts exhi-bition held on the premises now occupied by the Tollinton Market in Lahore. Imme-diately after independence in 1947, the School suffered a series of setbacks, and in 1950 a scheme for reshaping and up-grading the institution to the status of a college was proposed. As a result, the National College of Arts, was activated in 1958 with the purpose of training profes-sionals in the fields of Commercial and Fine Art, Industrial Design and Architec-ture. In 1962, the College was taken over by the Department of Technical Education and reorganized on the lines of a Poly-technic Institute. In August 1963, it was placed under the administrative control of a Board of Governors. Since May 1972, the administrative control has been taken over by the Federal Ministry of Education and a reconstituted Board of Governors which includes students and staff representatives has been set up.