The D. J. Sind Government Science College was founded in 1887, chiefly through the efforts of a far-sighted, prominent Sindhi philanthropist, Mr. Diwan Dayaram Jethmal whose name it bears. The College was opened on 17th January, 1887, by His Excellency Lord Reay, the Governor of Bombay in a bungalow in Thattai Compound, situated on Bunder Road. Later on it was shifted to the present building in 1892. The College was by then a full-fledged institution with faculties Arts, Science, Engineering and Law.
D. J. Sind Government Science College began primarily as an Arts College with only 28 students and five members on its staff.
In 1922, Engineering College was started and the old Engineering classes were dropped from the D. J. College. With the establishment of a Law College in 1925 the Law Classes were also dropped.
For the next sixty years, D. J. Sind College catered for the intellectual and academic needs of the people of the Province of Sind, being as it was the first and the only institution in the area. It prepared students for the graduate and post-graduate courses of the Bombay and Sind Universities. It also provided research facilities in the various fields of Science.
The College was being managed by Sind Collegiate Board.
In the sixty-first year of its existence, D .J. Sind College was formally handed over to the Sind Government in June 1948 consequent upon the creation of Pakistan. The D. J. Sind College was re-christened as D. J. Sind Government Science College.
During the crucial period of change over, the strength of the College fell from 3000 students to 600 only. but gradually it regained its former stature. At present D. J. Sind Government Science College holds the reputation of being one of the best Science institutions in Pakistan. It is the oldest and the premier College of Karachi. The College has the credit of having produced a great number of eminent scholars, scientists, physicians, surgeons, engineers, architects, educationists, administrators, technocrats, businessmen, industrialists and Sportsmen.|
D. J.. Sind Government Science College is affiliated to the University of Karachi and the Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi, and prepares students upto B.Sc. Plans are ahead to restore its former glory by re-introducing post graduate classes in this College.
D. J. Sind Government Science College has an excellent location situated as it is in the heart of the city of Karachi on the Mohammad Bin Qasim-Dr. Ziauddin Ahmad Road junction near the beautiful Burns Gardens presently housing National Cultural Museum.
The D.J Science College Building is one of the most striking buildings of Karachi and occupies a significant position in the history of educational development in Sind. It is a majestic structure in the Italian architectural style with graceful domes and massive pillars and has two storey. It has a facade 431 ft. in length. The front consist of a plinth 5 ft high supporting an open arcade of dressed stones which runs along the whole facade of the building. The building was designed by Architect James Strachen.
Contributed by D. J. Sind Government Science College, Karachi
To commemorate Centenary of D. J. Sind Government Science College, Karachi, Pakistan Post Office is issuing a stamp of 80~Paisa denomination on November 7, 1987.